Hooghly collegiate school is the emblem of knowledge, discipline, perseverance, values and education. Since 1812 with a group of courageous students to 2012, this academic milestone has shown people the struggling journey to develop a proper educational institution. Each and every member of Hooghly collegiate school now takes pride in the glorious history of 200 years of this school.
Under the knowledgeable guidance of a few educated people, the school first started without having a proper accommodation in 1812 with a group of courageous pupil. So many problems and distraction struck on them but they never gave in. Though all the records are misplaced and abolished. In early 1817, the school first recognized as a small school attached to the Imambarah by fisher’s memoir. Earlier the school was in the academic control of Hooghly college (Today’s Hooghly Mohoshin College). The oldest of undivided Bengal was a part of Hooghly College at that time. At that the school shifted its academic work to “Bhudeb Bhaban” , “First floor of Hooghly Madrasah and finally to the permanent building beside the long range off Ganga.
In 1826, when there were no proper curriculums, exact educational tools even no universities to guide the teaching process, the group of knowledge lover made an effort to acknowledge to emerging academic nature of the school. That time there were 83 Student from mixed cutler and cast. Out of them 16 used to study Arabic, seven were taught Farsi and rest 60 students used to study in English.
Reflecting the social upheaval of 1830’s (1830-1832) during the period of William Bentinc It was an obvious rule to teach the students with European educational system. As a governmental rule it was confirmed to adapt the governmental regulation very soon. In 1st August 1836 Hooghly College established with maintaining the rules and that time Madrasah (Refers “Hooghly Collegiate School) was attached with the college directly.
There were no exact boundaries or special treatment for the school. Till 1846, it was only a part of the college. It was up to seven standards, four of the junior sections and three of the senior sections. In 1849 the great author “Bankim Chandra Chattapdhyay” step into the school and completed the 7th standard. In 1856 the lower and higher section of the school were merged. In 1859, India’s first university “Calcutta University” established and Hooghly college accredited by the university in the same year.
Till 1913 Hooghly Collegiate school was associated as part of Hooghly college. But Due to increase in number of students and developed cultural education system it was a huge requirement of education as well as a proper school. As result in September 1913, the school shifted to a rented house called Bhudev Bhavan, Owned by Mr. Bhudev Mukhopadhya – a renowned educationalist. This was the first independent movement of Hooghly Collegiate School.
During the Second World War the school shifted to the first floor of govt. Madrasah. The present school building used to be the hostel of the madrasah. After the independence there was an active movement to build the proper school building. After a constant endeavour of every well-wishers madrasah hostel moved on to another place and Hooghly Collegiate school got its own permanent building on February 1951. There is a list of Jewells who made the school to take pride in. The great prince of literature “Bankim Chandra” to literature and educationalist Akshay Chandra Sarkar, historian Ramesh Chandra Majumder, justice Saiyad amir ali, great lawyer “Bidhubhushan Bandhopadhya”, great literature “Sri Asuthosh Mukhapadhya”, ex-chief educationist of West Bengal government Sri Dilip Kumar Guha”, additional district magistrate of Hooghly “ Sri Durgapada Sarkar”, additional chief engineer of central government “Padmshree Sri. Shubhas Chandra Basu Ray” and So many famous doctors, engineers’, lawyers, educationalist, professors, teachers, scientists are made the school a glorious chapter.